History

Carbondale Township was created in 1831 from Blakely and Greenfield Townships.

The pioneer settler, David Ailsworth, from Rhode Island located in 1802 on the “Meredith place”. He begam clearing a farm, built a little log cabin, and in the fall returned to Rhode Island for his family. Mrs. Ailsworth was the pioneer weaver of Carbondale.

The next settlers in this rough wilderness were James Holden and family, who came in 1805 and began a clearing near the Ailsworth’s. In two years they removed west.

In 1806 Franklin Ailsworth, son of David, came. Peter Wedeman and James Lewis in 1807 located on “Ragged Island”. Lewis remained but two years. Wedeman stayed and raised a family here. His attire was very imposing. He wore a bearskin for a coat, the fore legs serving for sleeves; a fawn skin vest, buck skin pants, and a racon skin cap with the tail hanging behind.

From 1809 Rosewell B. Johnson, from New York, lived five years near the old toll house below Carbondale City. Early in the spring of 1809 George Parker and his sin-in-law, Winley Skinner, made a clearing of the “bif flats”, now occupied by a portion of Carbondale. They stayed but a few months.

Christopher E. Wilbur, from Dutchess County, NY, Located in 1810 on the Horace Stiles place. He came to manufacture the old fashioned wooden spinning wheels used along the border at that time. Nearly every fireside in the valley was soon gladdened by the hum of his wheels. He built a miniature grist-mill in 1813, on the small stream near where he lived. It had but one run of stones, no bolt, and the corn crushed by it had to pass through a common sieve before being fit for use. In 1813 his house was thrown open for the use of a school and for religious services, and Elder John Miller, a Baptist, and Mr. Cramer, a Methodist, alternately preached once a month.

The wild land about Carbondale was originally owned by an Englishman named Russell, living in Sunbury. In 1812 it came into possession of William and Maurice Wurts, of Philadelphis, and they gave th name “Carbondale”. It was a part of Blakely and Greenfield Townships, and in April 1831, Carbondale Township and City, and a portion of Gibsonburgh Borough, containing in all 23 square miles, were set off from these Townships and named Carbondale.

In November 1822, the Wurts brothers built a low, long log house for the occupancy of themselves and the workmen employed by them in digging for the black diamonds. Nothing but a single path by marked trees then led up through this township; it passed out through Rix’s gap. The pioneer framed house was built in October 1828, by James W. Goff, afterward sheriff of the county. The Milford and Oweho turnpike was built about this time, and in this year the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company completed their road to this township, which was then its western terminus.

The population was 721 in 1870, and 1,163 in 1880.

Since the election of justices of the peace by the people the following gentlemen have been chosen for this township:

Henry P. Ensign, 1840; Gilbert Burrows, 1840; Robert McFariane, 1842; Bartholomew Morrison, 1843; 1844; William Root, 1843; 1844; 1849; Archibald Law, 1845; Silas S. Benedict, 1847; Philander S. Joslin, 1849; Gideon W. Palmer, 1849; John Godding, 1851; Horace Stiles, 1854; Ira A. Goodrich, 1876